What do forest creatures do when they think no one is looking?
Konsta Punkka, a 22-year-old photographer from Helsinki, Finland, has been trying to find out for the last five years.
“I love to explore and show the secret life of animals,” Punkka told Upworthy in an email.
Punkka, who documents his travels on his Instagram feed, explained that he uses his camera to capture the “emotions and feelings” of his often misunderstood subjects.
His many years of exploring the wilderness, tolerance for cold weather, and learned patience allow him to capture the creatures in their most candid moments, resulting in wildly expressive photos.
“A lot of people have no idea what the animals are and what they do,” Punkka said. “So a big part of my work is to spread the word as well.”
Here are 17 of his most striking shots:
1. A squirrel, making a decision.
2. A deer, decompressing.
3. A fox, holding steady.
4. A seal, finding its bliss.
5. Two foxes, exploring a railroad track.
7. A bird, sensing an opportunity.
8. A bear, relaxing in the grass.
9. A squirrel, keeping an eye out.
10. A llama, taking it all in.
11. A ferret, keeping watch.
12. A seal, basking gloriously in the sun.
13. A bewildered sheep, investigating the camera.
14. A deer, poking its head out.
15. Baby owls, getting cozy.
16. Reindeer, patiently waiting to cross.
17. Photographer and subject, bonding.