A Baby Dolphin Died Because Tourists Wanted Selfies With It

This is the infuriating moment that a baby dolphin died because tourists in Argentina carried it onto the beach to take selfies, exposing it to the hot sun and condemning it to death.

The Dodo reports that the incident took place on the beachSanta Teresitain Argentina. One man picked up the dolphin and brought it ashore, this is when tourists began passing around, taking it in turns to get their photo with it.

The dolphin overheated in the blazing sun, and soon died. Beachgoers were reportedly still passing it around after it had died, before later leaving it discarded in the sand.

The dolphin was from the Franciscana variety, which is considered a vulnerable species as there are only around 30,000 left in the world.

An environmentalist from the Vida Silvestre Foundation wrote online in response to the incident:

“[Dolphins] can not remain long above water. They have very thick and greasy skin that provides warmth, so the weather will quickly cause dehydration and death.

“This occasion serves to inform the public about the urgent necessity to return these dolphins to the sea as soon as possible if they find them on the shore.”

Sad times.


Leave a Reply